Monday, September 19, 2011

Blog Post 4!

For project 2, I am planning on analyzing different movie review websites.  I love going to the movies.  One thing I like to do before going is look to see what everyone else thought of the movie.

I usually like using Rotten Tomatoes at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/  This site has easy access to critics reviews, the overall ratings and the box office numbers.  I like how interactive this site is and how easy it is to use.  This site also promotes upcoming movies by providing previews and interviews with stars for the new movies.

Another movie review site I found is Movie Review Query Engine at http://www.mrqe.com/  This site provides more reviews from critics than the general public.  It also gives a lot of reviews on previous movies, DVDs and new releases.  You can watch previews and look at upcoming movie reviews as well.

http://www.moviereviews.com/ allows more of the public to provide the reviews.  It shows what the public thinks of the movie and how it is doing in the box office.  The site shows new previews and any new news or releases.

These sites have a lot in common, however the layout of each site is very different.  The ease of use also differs between each site.  Even though they have some of the same elements, all of the sites have a different way of achieving each one.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great topic! However, perhaps maybe too broad? Analyzing the entire website might be a little too much due to the ample topics and elements you mentioned. Therefore, maybe focusing on just the review aspect with who the authors are, how that page is organized, etc. might help lower the work load. Even the homepage has a lot of information to choose from and analyze. Overall though, I think this is a fun and interesting topic that will definitely be doable regardless of which direction you choose to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with cassie. Although this topic is really interesting and I think you'd be able to find the different modes; it might help to narrow it down a little bit. Perhaps focusing specifically on the reviews of upcoming movies only. And I know your doing just website reviews, but since they're so similar, it might be interesting to see different sources for movie reviews compared/contrasted (for eg comparing a website to Ebert & Roeper reviews ). But whatever you do I think will be fine, and if you're looking for another website there's also http://www.filmcritic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you just focus primarily on the front page design of each site, you'll be fine and it won't be too broad. If you go into everything about the site itself, then yes, too broad. but, it kind of sounds like you're just thinking of the front pages with will be totally fine and I think will give you a way of integrating the rhetorical terminology along with the design terms from the readings. I look forward to seeing this project! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete